We practice both immigration law and family law, which are often intertwined.

If you are in the U.S. on a visa that was granted based on your spouse’s application, a divorce or separation may affect your lawful status and ability to stay in the U.S. You must be careful in choosing whether and get a divorce or legal separation.

if you are married to an H1B visa holder, a divorce or separation may disqualify you as a “dependent.”  

If you already have a green card and are a permanent resident at the time of the divorce, the divorce should not change your status.  However, the divorce may force you to wait longer to apply for citizenship. In this case, you would need to wait five years, rather than three.
Talk to an attorney experienced in immigration to determine the best course of action with regard to your marriage and immigration petition.


Contact Wallerstein Law to arrange a free consultation at (310) 438-5857